I know next to nothing about Linux audio stack, but it’s really hard not to notice PipeWire. It has been gaining a lot of traction recently, so I’ve decided to check it out.
As usual, ArchWiki is the best place to start reading about Linux software. I installed all the main PipeWire-related packages and everything seems to work like a charm. I was able to amend audio device properties with
wireplumber, and it allowed me to disable an audio output device and a mic I never use, which helped me de-clutter audio settings UI. Having less devices enabled also helps the system to fall back to proper audio devices when I disconnect my headset.